Wednesday, April 3, 2013

The Silence of God

Dr. Dennis Deese - www.fantheflame.com

PSALM 13:1-6

Isaiah 49:15-16 Can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee. Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of [my] hands; thy walls [are] continually before me.

Sometimes with all the noise in the world we can have a great appreciation for silence. Like the mom whose little boy was playing loudly with his car and mom said, "Johnny will you stop it." He did brakes squalling. Sometimes though silence can be unnerving especially when it’s God. When I think of God’s silence, I am reminded of the story of a mother’s anguish when her 17-year-old, model son, who never gave his mom or dad any trouble, was tragically killed in car accident. The mother, broken, and so distraught - became bitter and totally resentful of God as she cried out in soul anguish, again and again; "WHERE WERE YOU GOD WHEN MY CHILD NEEDED YOU?" This silence, with no apparent answer, drove her into a deeper abyss of total darkness. She found herself going into recluse with an enormous gulf separating her from the God she had been in love with since she was a young child!

How many of us can identify with her? I know I can! And, I’m sure, somewhere looking back over the pages of our walk with Jesus, most everyone can. Yet, it doesn't stop there!

After suffering in a dungeon of hatred and bitterness; not allowing anyone to talk to her about God’s Grace and Goodness, one day alone crying, (this had become her lifestyle) she bellowed out in a scream, "WHERE WERE YOU WHEN MY SON DIED?"

Removed, as she so often wanted to be and being exhausted, she fell across the bed; however, within a few moments, a silence came into the bedroom, she heard a soft, tender, and loving voice that spoke back to her: "THE SAME PLACE I WAS WHEN MY SON DIED!" Adapted from Dr. Raleigh D. Jenkins

Silence.—Be silent, or say something better than silence.—PYTHAGORAS.


Notice the experiences of the Psalmist's Silence from God


I. First, I want you to notice the Psalmist FRUSTRATION (v:1-2)

Silence is wonderful to listen to. Thomas Hardy

Ec 3:1 & 7 To every [thing there is] a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;

Why does God allow the frustrating time of silence? What is His purpose?

In order to:

A. Get our attention - You know you’re in bad spiritual condition when you don’t even care about the presence of God.) To provoke a response.
 
B. Encourage us to seek God (Are we taking God for granted? (Psalm 27:7-9)

 
Ps 27:7-9 Hear, O LORD, [when] I cry with my voice: have mercy also upon me, and answer me. [When thou saidst], Seek ye my face; my heart said unto thee, Thy face, LORD, will I seek. Hide not thy face [far] from me; put not thy servant away in anger: thou hast been my help; leave me not, neither forsake me, O God of my salvation.
 
C. Lead us to depend upon God (Psalm 69:16-18)

Ps 69:16-18 Hear me, O LORD; for thy lovingkindness [is] good: turn unto me according to the multitude of thy tender mercies. And hide not thy face from thy servant; for I am in trouble: hear me speedily. Draw nigh unto my soul, [and] redeem it: deliver me because of mine enemies.
 
D. Motivate a serious attitude (Psalm 89:46-48)

Ps 89:46-48 How long, LORD? wilt thou hide thyself for ever? shall thy wrath burn like fire? Remember how short my time is: wherefore hast thou made all men in vain? What man [is he that] liveth, and shall not see death? shall he deliver his soul from the hand of the grave? Selah.
Ps 90:9-10 For all our days are passed away in thy wrath: we spend our years as a tale [that is told]. The days of our years [are] threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength [they be] fourscore years, yet [is] their strength labour and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away.
Ps 90:12 So teach [us] to number our days, that we may apply [our] hearts unto wisdom.

 
E. Encourage us to seek God’s will (Psalm 143:7-8)

Ps 143:7-8 Hear me speedily, O LORD: my spirit faileth: hide not thy face from me, lest I be like unto them that go down into the pit. Cause me to hear thy lovingkindness in the morning; for in thee do I trust: cause me to know the way wherein I should walk; for I lift up my soul unto thee.

 
F. Lead us to repentance (Isa. 59:1-2)

Isa 59:1-2 Behold, the LORD’S hand is not shortened, that it cannot save; neither his ear heavy, that it cannot hear: But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid [his] face from you, that he will not hear.


II. Second, I want us to notice his FOCUS (v:3-4)

Before God, he was:

A. Humble "consider and hear me"

B. Hopeful "lighten my eyes" for wisdom

C. Honest "I can’t take anymore" "sleep the ..."

D. Hurting (v-4)


III. Third, I want us to notice His FAITH (v: 4:6)

He trusted in three things:

A. the mercy of God - We must have that God will not give us what we deserve. The truth is if He never spoke to us again we deserve it but He's a merciful God.

B. the salvation of God - No matter how you feel when you've been born again you are His child forever. You may not feel saved but thank God when you are saved you are saved and Satan can't do one thing about that.

C. the worthiness of God - God is worthy of all our sufferings. Keep on Praising Him no matter how you feel.

He would not be blinded by his circumstances.  Keep the faith and learn from you experiences; Extract all you can from them and then help others along the journey who may be going through the same things.

Evangelist Dennis Deese



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.