Wednesday, December 2, 2009

“DECISIONS, DECISIONS, DECISIONS”

John 5:30 I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.

I can't do a solitary thing on my own: I listen, then I decide. You can trust my decision because I'm not out to get my own way but only to carry out orders. The Message Paraphrase

There are some occasions in our life, few I’m glad to say, that are pivotal points along life’s journey where are our entire destiny is determined by the choices we make.

On the other hand, most of our decisions are incidental.

We all have to make many different decisions; however, some of the things we have to do in life are involuntary decisions. They are made automatically. For example,

We blink approximately 10 to 15 times per minute. That Means that in the last hour you’ve blinked about 720 times. Now I don’t know about you, but I’m glad I’ve been spared having to make those additional 720 decisions this past hour and I’m certainly glad I haven’t had to make that decision 17,280 times in the past 24 hours. Now don’t you feel better already?

Let’s consider some:

I. PERSONAL DISCOMFORTS “As I hear, I judge”

Matthew 26:42 He went away again the second time, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, thy will be done.

It is amazing how many of us hate, with a passion, to make decisions. It may be because we have to make so many of them. Nevertheless, we have make decisions every day.

What contributes to it being so uncomfortable?

A. Procrastination

“Standing in the middle of the road is very dangerous; you get knocked down by the traffic from both sides.” Margaret Thatcher

B. Fear of the unknown

C. Too many options

D. Making the wrong choice (making a mistake)

E. Inability or unwillingness to delegate

F. Resistance to change

G. Lack of knowledge

H. Lack of counsel

Proverbs 11:14 Where no counsel [is], the people fall: but in the multitude of counsellors [there is] safety.

I. Presumption - It will go away! I hope!

J. Lack of responsibility

“If you don't design your own life plan, chances are you'll fall into someone else's plan. And guess what they have planned for you? Not much.” Jim Rohn

K. An Obsession for making the best choice (there are consequences to all choices) - an obsessive compulsive

II. PRACTICAL WISDOM “I can of my own self do nothing”

Philippians 4:6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.

Jeremiah 10:23 O LORD, I know that the way of man [is] not in himself: [it is] not in man that walketh to direct his steps.

Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

“How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time” Unknown to me

The three-fold components for sound decision making:

A. Assurance

Proverbs 3:5 “Trust” 03820 labe: The Hebrew word means confidence (notice with the phrase “with all thine heart”) in the inner man, mind, will, heart, & understanding.

Ps 56:3 What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee.

Psalms 32:8 I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go: I will guide thee with mine eye.

Ps 27:13 [I had fainted], unless I had believed to see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living.

Isa 40:31 But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew [their] strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; [and] they shall walk, and not faint.

La 3:25-26 The LORD [is] good unto them that wait for him, to the soul [that] seeketh him. [It is] good that [a man] should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD.

1. Presence John 5:30 “As I hear”

2. Faithfulness Proverbs 3:“trust in the Lord”

Ps 54:4 Behold, God [is] mine helper: the Lord [is] with them that uphold my soul.

Ps 116:6 The LORD preserveth the simple: I was brought low, and he helped me.

3. Understanding John 5:30 “Father”

The very use of the term Father rather than God suggests comfort. Even if you don’t make the best decision and your heart is to honor Him, He will take care of you.

Ps 40:17 But I [am] poor and needy; [yet] the Lord thinketh upon me: thou [art] my help and my deliverer; make no tarrying, O my God.

4. His Guidance Proverbs 3:5 “He shall direct thy paths”

James 1:5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all [men] liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

Proverbs 16:9 A man’s heart deviseth his way: but the LORD directeth his steps.

B. Abasment John 5:30 “I can of my own self do nothing”

Proverbs 3:5 “lean not” 08172 (sha`an) shaw-an' :to lean, lean upon, support oneself. Don’t support yourself on your inadequate understanding, but rather lean upon HIM.

John 6:38 For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.

Hebrews 10:9 Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second

Psalms 32:8 I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go: I will guide thee with mine eye.

C. Acknowledgment Proverbs 3:6 “acknowledge him” 03045 (yada`) yaw-dah': To know, to recognize, admit, acknowledge, confess.

We are to change the way we think by pursuing God (not His will per say) in every decision, opportunity, circumstance and in essence in all our ways.

“my judgment is just” Jesus was saying that his selection (judgment) was approved (just) of or acceptable of God because he sought to know the Father and thus hear the Father!

2 Corinthians 4:18 While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen [are] temporal; but the things which are not seen [are] eternal.

Psalms 37:4 Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.

III. POTENTIAL REWARDS “My judgment is just”

“Planning is bringing the future into the present so that you can do something about it now.” Alan Lakein

A. Sense of Accomplishment

John 4:34 Jesus saith unto them, My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work.

B. Sense of Relief (the dread of the task is alleviated)

John 17:4 I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do.

C. A testimony of good stewardship

1 Corinthians 4:2 Moreover it is required in stewards, that a man be found faithful.

Matthew 25:21 His lord said unto him, Well done, [thou] good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.

D. Doors of opportunity open up

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.